Lesson 1 EQ : IQ Success comes with a high E EE EQ.
Published byModified 2年之前
Presentation on theme: "Lesson 1 EQ : IQ Success comes with a high E EE EQ."— Presentation transcript:
Lesson 1 EQ : IQ Success comes with a high E EE EQ.
WhatIQEQ stands for tells you Information about IQ and EQ Intelligence Quotient Emotional Quotient how intelligent you are how well you use your intelligence
four kinds Generally, people are divided into four kinds according to their EQ or IQ. Now read the text you will learn something important about EQ and IQ. * high EQ with high IQ * high EQ with low IQ * low EQ with high IQ * low EQ with low IQ
Read and decide which are the main ideas of Part 1 and Part 2. a) EQ is less important than IQ. b) EQ is as important or more important than IQ. c) A person’s EQ equals to his IQ. d) EQ can be improved. Part 1: EQ is as important or more important than IQ. Part 2: EQ can be improved. First reading First reading
There’s ______________________ between IQ and EQ Read and find the main idea of each paragraph of Part 1: Para 1: Para 2: Para 3: _____________ between IQ and EQ. Success is not simply the result of a high IQ. The difference no definite association Second reading Second reading
Read Part 1 and answer the questions. 1. What does the recent research say about a person’s success and his or her IQ? Success in not simply the result of a high IQ. 2. How does Professor Salovey describe EQ and IQ? At work, it is IQ that gets you hired but it is EQ that gets you promoted. 3. Why do some smart students end up failing exams according to Prof. Salovey? Perhaps their failure is because of their low EQ. Third reading Third reading
( ) EQ has a lot to do with education. ( ) High EQ helps people get ahead in the world and lead a happy and successful life. ( ) People with high and low EQ in life. ( ) There are changes in people’s EQ after education. Read and choose the general idea of each paragraph of Part 2. 1 2 3 4
1. Can you tell the differences between people with high EQs and people with low EQs? 2. Can a person’s EQ be improved? What about his IQ? 3. Why is EQ as important as IQ? What should schools do with their students? Read Part 2 again and answer these questions
1. Can you tell the differences between people with high EQs and people with low EQs? People with high EQs: are open to …; … positive attitudes towards …; less likely to be troubled … People with low EQs: have problems getting on with … dealing with …; … a harder time in … 2. Can a person’s EQ be improved? What about his IQ? IQ is determined by birth. EQ has a lot to do with education.
3. Why is EQ as important as IQ? What should schools do with their students? High EQ helps people go ahead in the world and lead a happy and successful life. Schools need to make sure that their students are receiving the education to improve their EQ. Complete the sentences with the correct form of the words in brackets (Ex 3).
Voice Your Opinion Voice Your Opinion Which is more important, IQ or EQ? Why?
1. Even if they never see their results, they feel that their IQ is what determines how well they are going to do in life. (Para 1) ( 状语从句 // 宾语从句 // 表语从句 // 宾语从句 ) 2. When they see other students doing better than them, they usually believe that those students have a higher IQ and that there is nothing they can do to change facts. (Para 1) ( 状语从句 // 宾语从句 // 宾语从句 // 定语从句 ) Sentence analysis Sentence analysis 几个宾语从句并列，第一个 that 有时可以 省略，第二个 that 开始不省略。
3. And the fact that it might be possible to raise EQs means that schools needs to make sure that their students are receiving the education they really need, and know that their futures are not entirely determined by their IQs. (Para7) ( 同位语从句 // 宾语从句 // 宾语从句 // 定语从句 // 宾语从句 )
4. Supported by his academic research, Professor Salovey suggests that when predicting someone’s future success, their character, as measured by EQ tests, might actually matter more than their IQ. (Para 2) (1). when predicting someone’s future success. = when people predict someone’s future success. “ 连词 + 现在分词 ” ，这种情况常用于报刊和科技文体中，因为 科技文体通常避免使用人称主语 ( people) 。如： When hiring a room, it is always a good idea to ask whether laundry and heating are included in the price. (2). as measured by... “ 连词 + 过去分词 ” ，是状语从句的省略形式，高考考查热点。 当状语从句的主语 ( 或是 it) 与主句的主语一致，且状语从句的谓 语动词是被动式时，从句可以用于本结构。引导状语从句的连 词有 while / when / as / though / if / unless 等。 = as it is measured by EQ tests
高考真题 1.Unless ____ to speak, you should remain silent at the conference. A. invited B. inviting C. being invited D. having invited 2. Generally speaking, _____ according to the directions, the drug has no side effect. A. when taking B. when taken C. when to take D. when to be taken 3. --Have you got any particular plan for the coming holiday? -- Yes, _____, I’m going to visit my aunt in Paris. A. If ever B. If busy C. If anything D. If possible A. invited B. when taken D. If possible
5. The results of studies such as these show that EQ is as important, if not more important than IQ. (Para7) ( 诸如此类的研究表明，如果 EQ 不比 IQ 重要的话， 它至少与 IQ 一样重要。 ) 本句的划线部分包含着两个省略结构，完整结构是： The results of studies such as these show that EQ is as important as IQ, if it is not more important than IQ. **John plays football____, if not better than, David. A. as well B. as well as C. so well D. so well as B. as well as
6. On the other hand, there is little doubt that people with low EQs often have problems getting on with other people. ** there is little / no doubt that 毫无疑问 that 引导同位语从句 (1).Some researchers believe that there is no doubt _____ a cure for AIDS will be found. (2).There is some doubt ____ John will come on time. A. which B. that C. what D. whether B D
Language Points Language Points Where 1. Where do your strengths and weaknesses lie? What --- What are your strengths and weaknesses? 2. get a better sense of yourself --- get a better understanding of … ** 如 果你知道了自己的长处，并适当地利用它们，您 就能更好地了解自己，并在学习中取得飞快的进步。 If you know what your strengths are and use them appropriately / in an appropriate way, you will gain a better sense of yourself and make rapid progress in your studies.
what 3. concentrate on / upon what is really important. focus ( one’s attention ) on … --- focus ( one’s attention ) on … fix one’s mind / attention on … fix one’s mind / attention on … pay attention to … pay attention to … 你是一个天才学生。如果你集中精力在真正重要的东西 上，并记住所有的学习材料，你将成为一个有学问的人。 learned learned You are a gifted student. If you concentrate / focus on what is really important and remember all the learned materials, you will become a learned man.
1. talk … into doing sth. 我们总算说服爸爸买了一辆新车。 We finally talked Father into buying a new car. 比较 : reason sb. into doing sth. (not) to do persuade sb. (not) to do sth. into / out of persuade sb. into / out of doing sth. of ** persuade / convince sb. of sth. 我们总算使他们相信自我评估的重要性。 We finally persuaded them of the importance of self-assessment. 劝服某人做某事 使 … 相信 … Language Points Language Points
2. end up with sth. ( 句子中主语的一部分 ) end (up) in sth. ( 事情发展的不好的结果 ) end up doing sth. ** 我们举行的聚会以唱首歌来结束的。 The party we had ended up with / singing a song. ** 他们的努力以失败而告终。 Their effort ended (up) in failure. ** 如果你继续这样开车，最终会躺在医院里的。 If you keep your car at a speed like that, you will end (up) in hospital. ** 他原计划去划船，由于天气恶劣最终呆在家里。 He planned to go boating, but ended up staying at home because of the bad weather.
Lesson 1 EQ : IQ Success comes with a high E EE EQ.
3. in terms of 3. in terms of 从 … 角度看, 就... 而论 ** 毫无疑问, 从质量上说，这是最好的。 There is no doubt that this is the best in terms of quality. ** 思想是由行动来表达的。 An idea _______________________ action. ** 你不可用金钱的观点来看人生。 You must not________________________. ** 他身体方面是很强壮的，可是心蛮柔弱的。 He is strong in terms of physical built but _____________________. is expressed in terms of see life in terms of money weak in terms of mind
4. deserve sth 4. deserve sth 值得、应得、应受 deserve to be done ** 一番辛苦工作后你该好好休息一下。 You deserve a good rest after that hard work. ** 这报告应该给予认真考虑。 This report deserves a careful consideration. ** 他应该受到惩罚。 He deserved to be punished / punishment. ** 你是老鼠戏猫，真是自作自受 / 罪有应得！ I think you’re playing with fire. You deserve it!
5. accuse sb. of sth. charge sb. with sth. charge sb. with sth. ** 警察指控他犯了谋杀罪。 The police accused him of murder. = The police charged him with murder. --- I have just had my watch repaired. --- How much did they ___ you? A. pay B. charge C. cost D. spend ( charge sb. some money for sth. ) 指控，控诉 B. charge
newly-built 1. The newly-built bridge will be opened soon. 新建的大桥 ( 做定语, 表完成、被动 ) required 2. These are the required courses for senior high school students. 必修的课程 ( 做定语表被动 ) 3. When he entered the room, he found the window broken. 窗户被打碎了 ( 做宾语补足语，表示被动 ) lined 4. The street is lined with small shops. 这条街旁林立着许多小店铺。 ( 做表语, 表状态。 ) broken 5. The cup is broken. 茶杯碎了。 ( 表示碎了的状态 ) Past participles --- 过去分词 Past participles --- 过去分词
Encouraged (1). Encouraged by his teacher’s words, he studied harder than before. = Because he was encouraged by his teacher’s words, he studied harder than before. Given (2). Given more time and attention, you can do it much better next time. = If you are given more time and attention, you can do it much better next time. Seen (3). Seen from the top of the tower, the town looks beautiful. When // If it is seen = When // If it is seen from the top of the tower, the town looks beautiful. Reason clauses Conditional clauses Past participles --- Clauses Past participles --- Clauses Time clauses
1. The man was accused of stealing money. He was brought to court. Accused of stealing money, the man was brought to court. 2. Jane was scared of the lightning. She refused to go outside. Scared of the lightning, Jane refused to go outside. 3. A man was arrested by the police. What was his name? What was the name of the man arrested by the police?
4. A boy was injured during the football match. He was examined by a doctor. Injured during a football match, the boy was examined by a doctor. 5. Mr. Smith was determined to be on time. He got the work completed. Determined to be on time, Mr. Smith got the work completed.
** The bridge _________ next year will be the longest here. ** The bridge _________ last year is the longest here. ** The bridge __________ now will be the longest here. A. built B. building C. being built D. to be built to be built built being built 非谓语动词作定语时的比较 ( build ) 非谓语动词作定语时的比较 ( build )
1.Helen had to shout ____above the sound of the music. A. making herself hear B. to make herself hear C. making herself heard D. to make herself heard 2. ____ with so much trouble, we failed to complete the task on time. A. Faced B. Face C. Facing D. To face 3. The managers discussed the plan that they would like to see ______ the next year. A. carry out B. carrying out C. carried out D. to carry out 高 考 真 题 高 考 真 题 D. to make herself heard A. Faced C. carried out
4. There have been several new events ____ to the program for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. A. add B. to add C. adding D. added 5. No matter how frequently ____, the works of Beethoven still attract people all over the world. A. performing B. performed C. to be performed D. being performed 6. ____ for the breakdown of the school computer network, Alice was in low spirits. A. Blaming B. Blamed C. To blame D. To be blamed D. added B. performed B. Blamed
Homework 1. Read the Grammar Summary 1 on Page 92. 2. Read and recite the new words and expressions. 3. Complete Ex 3 on Page 10.