Unit 14 Interesting proverbs: 1. To teach a fish how to swim. 2. Love me,love my dog. 3. The sparrow （麻雀） near a school sings the ABC 4. Look the barn.
Published byModified 大约1年之前
Presentation on theme: "Unit 14 Interesting proverbs: 1. To teach a fish how to swim. 2. Love me,love my dog. 3. The sparrow （麻雀） near a school sings the ABC 4. Look the barn."— Presentation transcript:
Interesting proverbs: 1. To teach a fish how to swim. 2. Love me,love my dog. 3. The sparrow （麻雀） near a school sings the ABC 4. Look the barn door after the horse is stolen. 5. Dog doesn’t eat dog. ( 班门弄斧 ).( 潜移默化 ) ( 爱屋及乌 ) ( 亡羊补牢 ) ( 虎毒不食子 ) ( 班门弄斧 )
6. Don’t count your chickens before they hatch. 7. as poor as a church mouse. 8. Let sleeping dog lie. 9. I’m so hungry that I can eat a horse. 10. Go home and kick the dog. ( 不要过早打如意算盘 ) ( 一贫如洗 ) ( 勿惹事生非 ) ( 饥肠辘辘 ) ( 回家生闷气 )
11. Separate the sheep from the goats. 12. A lion in the way. 13. When the cat is away,the mice will play. 14. A wolf in sheep’s clothing. 15. Fine feathers make fine birds. ( 把好人与坏人分开 ) ( 拦路虎 ) ( 山中无老虎, 猴子称大王 ) ( 披着羊皮的狼 ) ( 人靠衣装，佛靠金装 )
16. You can’t make a crab( 蟹） walk straight. 17. The early bird catches the worm. 18. It rains cats and dogs. 19. All his geese are swans( 天鹅 ). 20. as stupid as a goose. ( 江山易改，本性难移 ) ( 捷足先登，笨鸟先飞 ) ( 倾盆大雨 ) ( 言过其实 ) ( 蠢得像头猪 )
Do animals have their languages? Yes. Pre-reading
Listen to the tape and answer the comprehension questions
because of the language they use to communicate with each other Para.1 1. Is there only one type of bee or are there many types? Many types 2. Where do bees live ? hive nests in trees nests in the rocks nests in the holes in the ground 3. What kind of bee interested the scientists most? Why? the honey-bee.
Para.2 and Para.8 Information about the scientist Name: _______________ Nationality: ____________ What’s he? ________________ Research work: _________________ How to find it out: _________________ His discovery: ______________________ Prize:_____________________________ Karl von Frisch Austrian zoologist/scientist the amazing way … by doing experiments circle dance & wagging dance Won a Nobel Prize in 1973
Von Frish discovered that the bee began to do a circle dance on the surface of the honeycomb. Para.3 What does this paragraph talk about?
Von Frish found more information about the dance : circle dance and wagging dance Para.4 What does this paragraph talk about?
Von Frish and his colleagues did more experiments and found out more information about the dance. Para.5What did the scientist,Von Frish discover? He discovered that the farther away the feeding place was,the slower the dance was. Para.6What's this paragraph about?
go quickly along a straight course for sb. or sth. Para.7 1.What does "bee-line" mean ? straight line; the shortest distance between two places 2.What does "make a bee-line for sb. or sth." mean ?
1.The scientists can study the language of honey bees only after the development of ____. A.the modern beehive B.experiments C.dishes of honey D.both A and B D
2. Karl von Frisch made an experiment to research ____. A.the food of honey bees B.the dance of honey bees C.the ways honey bees communicate D. The hive of honey bees C
3. The phrase “tell the bees apart” in para.2 means____. A.let the bees live separately B.tell one bee from the other C.drive the bees away D.tear the bees into pieces B
4. How did the marked bee tell the message of food to the other bees? Give the follows in right order. (1)The marked bee returned to the hive from the feeding table. (2) It repeated these circles over and over again. (3) The marked bee made a circle to the left. (4) The marked bee made a circle to the right. (5) The other excited bees dance together. (6) The bees left the hive and went to the feeding place. A.(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6) B.(1)(3)(4)(5)(2)(6) C.(1)(4)(3)(2)(5)(6) D.(1)(4)(3)(5)(2)(6) C
5. Different dance indicate different ____. A.food B.feeding places C.steps D.semicircles B
6. The circle dance communicates ____. (1) the distance of food (2) the information of food (3) the amount of food (4) the kind of food A. (1)(2)(3) B. (1)(2)(4) C.(1)(2) D.(2)(3) C
7. Which of the following statements is right? A.Animals do have a language like that of human beings. B.When Professor Karl von Frisch placed little dishes of milk on the table, bees soon came. C.In order to be able to watch the bees scientifically, he built some special hive, a glass wall and marked the bees with little spots of colour. D.When a marked bee returned to the hive from the feeding table, it began to perform a dance on the surface of the ground. C
8. You can find out the topic sentence of the text simply in para.1 from ____. A.the first sentence B. the second sentence C. The fifth sentence D. the last sentence C
9. After reading the text, you can infer the writer is likely to write about ____ in the next para. A.Whether the circle dance told them what food was in feeding place B.Whether the bees can tell one colour from the other C.Whether the wagging dance tell the bees the distance and the direction of the food D.Whether the language of honey bees is the most useful language of all animals C
词组整理 1. 群居 2. 筑巢 3. 使做 … 成为可能 4. 对 … 困惑 5. 反复 6. 一个接一个的 7. 玻璃墙 8. 区别 … 9. 跳舞 live in groups make nests make it possible to do sth. be puzzled by again and again one after another a transparent wall tell … apart perform a dance
10. 模仿动作 11. 绕圈舞 12.. 表达信息 13. 摆尾舞 14. 直线 15. 显露，暴露 16. 最大距离 17. 去取食物 18. 一队蜜蜂 19. 朝 … 径直走去 20. 授予 … 诺贝尔奖 copy one’s movements the circle dance convey information a wagging dance in a straight line come to light a maximum distance of fetch food a line of bees make a beeline for sb. or sth be awarded a Nobel Prize
1.There are many different varieties of bee. (para.1 p120) variety n. 变化性 ; 多样性 ; 种种 various adj. 不同的, 各式各样的, 多姿多彩的 ; =several 好几个的 ;=many 许多的 They lived a life full of variety. We want to have variety in our lives. The fashion of the youth has been various these years. Beijing is filled with people from various parts of China.
(2) Fill in the blanks with the proper form of be A variety of toys ____ on show in the shop. The variety of books he has ____ astonishing. are is “ a variety of + n.(pl.)” 做主语时, 谓语用复数. “the variety of + n.(pl.)” 做主语时, 谓语用单数. There are a wide variety of people on the earth. (1) a variety of / varieties of +n.(pl.) 种种 他由于种种原因而离开了. He left for a variety of / various reasons. 他喜欢搜集邮票珍品 : He enjoys collecting rare varieties of stamps.
2. Among the different kinds of bee, it is the honey-bee that has interested scientists most because of the “language ” they use to communicate with each other. (Para1 p120) 强调句的一些练习： (1) 以一般疑问句出现 Was ___ that I saw last night at the concert? A it you B not you C you D that yourself A. (2) 以特殊疑问句形式出现 ____ is it ____ has made Peter ___ he is today? A What; that; that B That; that ; what C What; what; that D What; that ; what D.
(3) 以名词性从句形式出现 I’ve already forgotten ____ you put the dictionary. A that it was there B where was it that C that where it was D where it was that D. (4) 与定语从句相结合 It was in the lab ____ was taken charge of by Professor Harris _________ they did the experiment. A which ; that B that; what C whom; that D which; where A.
(5) 与 not..until 句型结合 It was not until it got dark that I left. 注意区别： It was midnight when he came back. It was at midnight that he came back.
3. He built a transparent wall through which he could observe what went on inside. go on 的用法： vi.1 ） 向前进行 We were all tired, so we couldn’t go on. 2 ）继续 (go on doing sth ； go on with sth ； go on to do ） I couldn’t finish my homework so I have to go on with it. He went on working without taking a rest.
Time is limited, 时间有限，我们进入下一个主题吧。 3 ）（事件等）发生 It sounds as if upstairs. 楼上好象有人打架。 4 ） ( 时间 ) 经过，过去 it grew colder. 日子一天天过去， 天气越来越冷。 so let’s go on to the next subject. there is a fight going on As the days went on
4. observe vt. 观察, 观测, 遵守, 搭配： observe sb do/doing sth ） observe the speed limit 遵守速度限制； observe a child's behavior. One must observe the rules.
5.He marked all the bees that came to the nearby feeding place blue, and all the bees that went to the far-away place red. (Para2 p121) faraway 远方的, nearby 附近的, 既可以连写 ( 作 定语 ); 又可以分写 ( 作状语 ); 还可以加连字符 ( 定语 ) a nearby hotel; nearby hills a faraway forest; faraway times
The house is not faraway/ far away. He lives far away from the school. I saw her going to a near-by post-box. He gave up his seat to the old man standing near by. 类似的合成形容词 : good-looking hard-working low-lying noble-minded nationwide well-known widespread worldwide
6. perform vt. 履行, 执行, 表演, 演出 (Para2p121) perform one's duties perform a play The doctor performed the operation. You should always 你应永远履行你的诺言。 尽责任 演一出戏 perform what you promise.
7.It was evident that the circle dance told the bees about the location of the feeding place. It was also apparent that the wagging dance, where the bee moved sideways, sent another message about the feeding place. (Para3 p121) =It is/was obvious (to sb.)that… 明显的是 … It is apparent to us that he hasn’t done his work properly. It is quite obvious that he didn’t do it himself. It is evident (to all) that he is wrong.
8. They discovered that the farther away the feeding station was, the slower the dance was. (Para4 p121) The + 形容词 / 副词比较级。。。， the + 形容词 / 副 词比较级， 意思是越。。。就越 we stand, we see. 站得越高，看得越远。 you do it, it will be. 越早越好。 The higherthe farther The sooner the better
9. So another astonishing fact came to light. 于是又发现了另外一个令人惊讶的的情况。 (Para4 p121) come to light 被人知道（发现） New facts about ancient Egypt have recently come to light. 最近有一些关于古代埃及的事实被发现了。
come to light 显露，暴露，被发现 bring … to light 将 … 曝光，揭露 throw/cast light on/ upon 使明白，解释 see the light =finally understand set light to sth.=light The new facts _______________ on the matter. New evidence has recently _________________. His past was____________________. threw some light come to light brought to light 那些新事实使这个问题更明朗化。 最近发现了新的证据。 他的往事被揭发了。
10. beeline 直线 （搭配： make a beeline for ） (Para2 p122) The late boy made a beeline for his classroom. 迟到的男孩抄捷径跑去上课。
11. 高考中考查比较级的重要句型 考点说明：比较级有许多热点句型： from bad to worse/worse and worse( 每况愈下 ) ； more and more ( 越来越多的，越来越 ……) ； the + 比较级， the+ 比较级 ( 越 …… 越 ……) ； to make the matter worse/what's worse/worse than all/worse than ever ( 更糟糕的是 ) 等。
典型题例： 1).________the temperature, ________ water turns into steam. A. The high; the fast B. Higher; faster C. The more higher; the faster D. The higher; the faster 2). In recent years travel companies have succeeded in selling us the idea that the further we go, ________. (NMET2001 上海 ) A. our holiday will be better B. our holiday will be the better C. the better our holiday will be D. the better will our holiday be
3). As far as I am concerned, education is about learning and the more you learn,________. (NMET2002 上海 ) A. the more for life are you equipped B. the more equipped for life you are C. the more life you are equipped for D. you are equipped the more for life
D D Exercises: 1.---What about Jim? ---Not very normal, he can’t even ___ an apple and a pear apart. A.take B.divide C.separate D.tell 2.The students ___ behind the teacher into the museum. A.followed B.lined C.trooped D.queued C
B B 3.The air has been contaminated by the smoke from the ___ factories. A.near B.nearby C.nearly D.close 4.Kids talk frequently about what they can do, ____ many adults do the opposite, tending to talk about what they can’t do. A.and B.so C.for D.while 5. I know nothing about the young lady ___ she is from Beijing. A.except B.except for C.except that D.besides D c
B B 6.I’m sure as long as we make a great effort this case will ___. A.come true B.come to light C.come into being D.be put into practice 7.We shouldn’t keep these animals in cages. We should let them live in the ___. A.air B.wild C.field D.distance 8.He is still young. We shouldn’t expect him to ___ right and wrong apart. A.say B.talk C.speak D.tell B D
A A 9.Don’t be afraid. ___ hold of my hand, and I will pull you out of the pool. A.Get B.Set C.Fix D.Make 10.He seems to be an American, but ___ a matter of fact, he comes from France. A.in B.on C.at D.as 11.---Is this problem difficult? ---To tell you the truth, its difficulty is___ description. A.over B.above C.beyond D.more than D C
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.