1. How many dialects are there in China ？ What are they? 北方方言、粤语、客家话、赣语、吴语、闽南话、湘语等 2. Do you think there are some dialects in English?
There is no such thing as “standard English”. What people usually mean by this is grammatical English. However, there are many variants of what is considered standard or grammatical ways of saying things. These variants are called dialects. All countries have dialects and because the USA is so large it has many too.
Listen and choose best answer for questions. In the writer’s opinion _______. A. standard English is spoken in Britain B. standard English is spoken in the USA C. standard English exists in Canada D. there is no standard English at all D
1. Why are there so many dialects in the US? Because people have come from all over the world. Geography also plays a part in making dialects. It’s believed to be the English spoken on TV and the radio. 2. What’s the standard English? Read the passage and answer the questions.
3. Can you tell an interesting or funny story that shows great difference between dialects in Chinese/English?
Example: keys or kiss One friend of mine was giving an English lesson to a class of adults who had recently come to live in the United States. After placing quite a number of everyday objects on a table he asked various members of the class to give him the ruler, the book, the pen and so on.
The class went very smoothly, and the students seemed interested and serious about the work that they were engaged in until my friend turned to an Italian and said, “Give me the keys.” The man looked surprised and somewhat at a loss ( 有 点手足无措 ). Seeing this, my friend thought that the student hadn’t heard him clearly, so he repeated, “Give me the keys.”
The Italian shrugged ( 耸肩 ) his shoulders. Then, he threw his arms around the teacher’s neck and kissed him on both cheeks. In China, there are so many local dialects although the government encourage the whole nation to speak putonghua, which regarded as “standard” Chinese. However, local people also speak their own dialects.
Work in pairs. Discuss any Chinese dialects you know of or can speak.
1. What is standard English? 什么是标准英语 ? standard (n.) 标准, 规格 (adj.) 标准的 meet standard 符合标准 standard of living 生活水平 on a standard 根据某一标准
The mountains are not high ____ world standard. A. by B. at C. to D. on
2. Believe it or not, there’s no such thing as standard English. 信不信由你, 世界上没有所谓的标准英语。 believe it or not 信不信由你 e.g. Believe it or not, all the people present have agreed to the plan.
3. This is because in the early days of radio, those who reported the news were expected to speak excellent English. 这是因为在早期的电台节目里，人们期望新闻播音员讲极好的英语。
这是一个主从复合句。主句是 This is, 从句是由 because 引导的 ________ 从句 : those were expected to speak excellent English. 在表语从句中又含有一个由 who 引导的 _______ 从句，修饰表语从句的主语 those 。 表语 定语
当一个句子的主语为 this, that 或 it 时， 可以用 because 引导表语从句。 e.g. That is because he doesn’t like coffee. 那是因为他不喜欢咖啡。 It may be because the exam was too difficult. 那或许是因为考试太难了。
4. However, on TV and the radio you will hear differences in the way people speak. 然而, 甚至在电视上或收音机里都会听到人们在说话时的差异。 the way 后面接定语从句时, 关系代词用 that/in which 或不用关系代词。 e.g. I did it in the way that/in which you taught me.
I don’t like ____ you speak to her. A. the way B. the way in that C. the way which D. the way of which
5. America English has many dialects, _________ the Midwestern, southern, African American and Spanish dialects. 美国英语有很多方言, 尤其是在中西部, 南部, 黑人和西班牙方言。 especially 尤其, 表达事物不寻常或 特别重要 specially 专门 ( 指专为某一目的 ) especially
e.g. Our garden is beautiful, especially in autumn. I came here specially to see you. African adj. 非洲的 e.g. In the new African countries the governments are trying to provide education for adults. n. 非洲人 e.g. Fish is a staple in the diet of many Africans.
Spanish adj. 西班牙的 a Spanish dance n. 西班牙语 e.g. Do you speak Spanish?
6. Geography also plays a part in making dialects. 地理位置对方言的产生也有影响。 e.g. He has played an important part in saving the girl. He was invited to play a part in this TV play. play a part in 意为 ___________________________ 起重要作用； 扮演角色
play a role in 与 play a part in 的意思相同，常可以互换。表示 “ 扮演角色 ” 还可 以用 act, act a / the role of 等。如： Who is acting Hamlet? She is acting the role of Juliet.
根据括号内的提示，用 play a part in 的适当形式完成句子。 1. My friend Jim is looking forward to _______________________ ( 扮演角色的机 会 ) this series. 2. A good diet _______________________ ________________ ( 在帮助人们长寿方面起着非常大的作用 ). plays a large part in helping people live longer a chance to play a part in
7. Although many America move a lot, they still recognize and understand each other’s dialects. 虽然许多美国人经常搬家, 但他们仍然能够辨别、理解彼此的方言。 recognize v. 认出，承认，认可 recognize... as / to be... ，表示： 把 …… 看做 ； recognize sb. by sth. 表示： 从 / 根据某物认出某人。
1) I hadn’t seen her for 20 years, but I recognized her as soon as she came into the room. 2) The government refused to recognize the new school. 3) He is recognized to be / as their natural leader. 4) I recognized her by her red hair.
Activity 1 不同学生用家乡方言说出同一句话，体会不同地区的方言； Activity 2 学生说出他们知道或者听过的方言； Activity 3 学生讨论以下问题： Why does the government encourage us to speak Putonghua?
From the picture, we know that Lester is afraid when the others aren’t.
Catfish ( 鲶鱼 ) are found in lakes and rivers throughout the US. They are harmless. Although they can grow to two meters in length, they don’t eat children. The catfish get its name from its long, catlike whiskers, which can sting a bit.
Listen to the text and pay attention to the accent and intonation.
Listen again and put these sentences in the right sequence. ___ Lester climbed a tree. ___ Buford, Billy Bob and Lester went swimming. ___ Lester thought the catfish would eat him. ___ Buford and Billy Bob laughed. ___ Lester saw a catfish. ___ Now Lester is too afraid to visit the place. 1 2 3 4 5 6
1. What does Buford think of Texas? How do you know? He believes it’s almost a different country from the USA. The listening text tells us. Answer the following questions.
3. Why did Lester get out of the water so quickly? The boys thought that the catfish was almost the size of a house. He thought the catfish would eat him. 2. How large was the catfish?
They laughed because Lester believed the catfish would hurt him. 4. Why did Buford and Big Billy Bob laugh?
Work in pairs. Choose one of the situations and make a dialogue. Use the following expressions to help you. Pay attention to the intonation you use while talking.
Pardon? I beg your pardon? I don’t understand. How do you spell that? Could you say that again please? Could you speak more slowly please?: Sorry, I can’t follow you! Could you repeat that please?
1.You and your friend are American. You have arrived in a strange city in England to watch a football match. You need to find a cab/taxi to take you to the football ground. 2.You and your friend are British. You are visiting America. Your car needs some more petrol but you cannot find a petrol station. Ask directions to the nearest one.
I. 根据句意及所给单词的首字母或汉语提示，写出所缺单词的正确形式。 1. I’ve developed a taste for ______ ( 非洲的 ) music since my trip to Nigeria last year. 2. Jane has changed so much that I could hardly ________ ( 认出 ) her at the party yesterday. recognize African
3. Located in ___________ ( 东南部的 ) Wales, Abergavenny is a relatively small city. 4. This bridge can bear the weight of the heaviest ______ ( 卡车 ). 5. Shall we take a _____ ( 出租车 ) there and come back by subway? southeastern lorry cab
6. Two farmers were struck by ________ ( 闪电 ). 7. The boy comes from the countryside and he speaks in a broad a______. 8. The scenery of West Lake is beautiful beyond e_________. expression lightning accent
II. 请用下列词组的适当形式填空。 1. Some people don’t like to go to work ______________. 2. The headmaster _____________________ in the good running of a school. by underground plays an important part believe it or not be expected to by underground pay attention to play an important part in the way
3. ______________, he is really a foreigner. 4. You will _____________ work on Saturdays. 5. Please ______________ the difference between the two words. pay attention to Believe it or not be expected to
1. Review the words and language points we have learnt in this unit. 2. Finish exercises on your workbook.
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.