Presentation on theme: "外研版 初二 ( 下 ) Module 5. Unit1 If she goes to a different school, I won’t see my best friend. Unit1 If she goes to a different school, I won’t see my best."— Presentation transcript:
1. What does Tony’s mum suggest to Tony’s dad? 2. Why does Tony’s dad think Tony will refuse to go to classes? She suggests that they pay for his guitar lessons. Because he thinks that Tony likes to play alone.
3. What dose Tony want to do? He wants to be better than the others.
Tapescript Tony’s dad: What’s that noise? Tony’s mum: It’s Tony. He’s playing his guitar. Tony’s dad: It’s a pity he has to play so loudly. Tony’s mum: He really enjoys it.
Tony’s dad: But if he spends more time on playing the guitar than on his schoolwork, it’ll be a problem. Tony’s mum: But it’s a shame to stop him if he’s able to play well. Why don’t you warn him about spending too much time on his guitar? Or we could give him some money and send him to a guitar class, so he learns properly.
Tony’s dad: I think he’ll refuse to go. He likes to play alone. He’ll probably keep the money for a new guitar. Tony’s mum: No, he won’t. He’s good boy and he’ll listen to you. Anyway, all his friends are learning a musical instrument, and he just wants to beat them all and become the best!
Listen to the conversation in part 3 and complete the table. If 1. Sally plays well, … 2. Kylie beats sally, … She will play the solo on Starsearch. She’ll play the solo.
3. Kylie spends too much time with the orchestra, … 4. Kylie goes to another school, … Her parents will punish her and send her to a different school. Sally won’t see her best friend.
5. Kylie is on Starsearch … 6. Sally refused to play … maybe she will become a star. Her teacher will choose Kylie.
Read the conversation and answer the questions. 1. What have her parents warned her not to do? They warned her not to spend too much time with the orchestra.
2. Why does Lingling think it’s a shame if Kylie goes to another school? Because Kylie is Sally’s best friend.
3. What does Sally refuse to play? 4. Why will Sally keep her best friend if she doesn’t play? She refused to play during their final practise. Because the teacher will choose Kylie.
Language points 1. be proud of … 为 … 而骄傲 His parents are proud of their son. 2. Tell sb. about sth. 告诉 … 关于 … Please tell me about the accident.
3. practice 练习 n. I need to do more practice. v. practice doing sth. You’d better practice speaking English every day.
4. beat sb. ⑴ 击败某人 (beat– beat– beaten) If I beat him, I’ll win the first place. ⑵ 打 ; 击 She is beating a drum. 5. refuse + n./ pron. 拒绝 … refuse to do 拒绝做 … He refused to help, so we have to try our best.
6. alone 单独, 只有, 通常作 “ 单独 ” 讲只 作表语形容词。 I’m not alone in doing such a thing. lonely 孤独的, 寂寞的 Though I was alone, I was not lonely. 尽管我独自一人, 但我并不孤独 。
7. send sb. to… 送某人去 … His parents sent him to the countryside. 8. warn sb. about sth. 警告某人关于某事 The farmer warned us about snakes. warn sb. not to do 警告某人不要做 …
The teacher warned us not to copy others’ homework. warn (sb.) that… 警告 ( 某人 ) ＋从句 The teacher warned him don’t be late again.
9. too much + 不可数名词 太多的 … There is too much water in the bottle. too many + 可数名词 太多的 … There are too many passengers on the train.
10. chance 机会 It’s a good chance to learn from workers. get/ have a chance 有机会 If you get a chance to go, take it. by chance=by accident 偶然 I met him by chance yesterday.
11. rather than 宁可, 是 … 而不是 He ran rather than walk. 他跑步而不是步行。 He would die rather than give in. 他宁死不屈。
prefer to do sth. rather than do sth. 宁愿做 … 而不愿做 … I prefer to mend the old car rather than buy a new one. 我宁愿修这辆旧车也不愿买新的 。
12. so 与 such 的区别。 such 是形容词, 修饰名词或名词词组, so 是副词, 只能修饰形容词或副词。 so 还可与表示数量的形容词 many, few, much, little 连用, 形成固定搭配。
so + adj. such + a(n) + n. so + adj. + a(n) + n. such + n. (pl.) so + adj. + n. (pl.) such +n. (pl.) so + adj. + n. [ 不可数 ] such +n. [ 不可数 ]
例如 : so foolish such a fool so nice a flower such a nice flower so many/ few flowers such nice flowers so much/little money. such rapid progress so many people such a lot of people so many 已成固定搭配, a lot of 虽相当于 many, 但 a lot of 为名词性的, 只能用 such 搭配。
1. She is so lovely a girl that everyone loves 2. She is such a lovely girl that everyone loves her.( 她是如此可爱的一个女孩, 以 至每个人都喜欢她。 ) so…that 与 such…that 之间的转换既为 so 与 such 之间的转换。
3. This story is so interesting that I want to read it again. 4. It is such an interesting story that I want to read it again. ( 这个故事如此有趣以至我想再读一 次。 )
can 和 be able to 都表示能力, 意思上没 多大区别。 can 表示一般的能力, 可以指本来就有 的能力。 be able to 表示 “ 具体的能力 ”( 即在某具 体场合成功地做了某事 ), 强调通过努 力。
时态区别 : can 只有现在和过去时, 而 be able to 则有更多的形式。 意义区别 : 当成功地完成某一具体动 作时, 通常不用 could 而用 was/were able to 来表示。
这时 was/were able to 相当于 managed to, 表示经过一番努力, 终于能够完成 某事。 如 :Can you use chopsticks? The wounded man still was able to get to the village and was saved in the end.
Discussion Work in pairs. Talk about problems you have with: Your parents; friends; school work; sports; hobbies Describe the problem and talk about solutions.
My teacher says that if I don’t work harder, I won’t do well in my exams.