A greenhouse is made of glass and is used for growing plants, especially during cold weather.
How does it work? The air inside is warm because the glass traps the heat from the sun and keeps it from escaping. This makes the greenhouse heat up and so the plants can grow throughout the cold period.
What are the “greenhouse gases”? In the atmosphere surrounding the earth there are gases, which are called “greenhouse gases”, including carbon dioxide, methane( 甲烷, 沼气 ) and water vapor.
What do you think greenhouse gases do? They trap heat from the sun and therefore warm the earth.
Main ideas of each part Writing techniques ( Paragraph 1 ) Introduce a debate over the issue of global warming. Raising a question
Main ideas of each part Writing techniques (Paragraphs 2---4 ) Illustrate how global warming comes about. Giving examples, using graphs, explanation.
(Paragraphs 5---10 ) List two different attitudes among scientists towards global warming. Giving examples, making contrast.
(Paragraph 11 ) It's up to readers to think and decide whether people should do something about global warming or not. Using a question, leaving readers to think over the issue.
Glance quickly at the magazine article and answer the questions. 1.Who wrote the magazine article? What is the name of the magazine? Sophie Armstrong wrote the magazine article. The name of the magazine is Earth Care.
2.What are the names of the three scientists mentioned in the article? They are Dr. Janice Foster, Charles Keeling and George Hambley.
3. What do they think about global warming? Do they agree with one another? They don't agree with each other. Dr. Janice Foster thinks the effects of global warming could be very serious.
George Hambley thinks global warming will be mild with few bad environmental consequences. Charles Keeling believes it is the burning of more and more fossil fuels that is resulting in a big increase in carbon dioxide.
4.What are the two graphs about? Graph I shows the temperature increase of one degree Fahrenheit between 1860 to 2000. Graph 2 is about the carbon dioxide content in the atmosphere, 1958--1990.
5.What is the main topic of the article? Global warming/ the warming of the earth.
2. True: 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 False: 1, 2, 4, 9, 10 Correct sentences: 1. The temperature last century increased much. 2. Not everyone believes that global warming is caused by human activities.
4. Natural gas is not a greenhouse gas but a fossil fuel. 9. George Hambley thinks that more carbon dioxide is a positive thing and it will make plants grow faster. 10. It is unknown what the effects of global warming will be.
Debate Instructions ● Get into groups of six. Decide which three in your group are going to agree with the statement (Group A) and which three are going to disagree with the statement (Group B).
● Group A discuss why they agree with the statement; Group B discuss why they disagree. ● Group A and B get together. Tell each other the reasons why agree or disagree with the statement.
例如： [ 正 ] Who do you think will win in the game? [ 误 ] Do you think who will win in the game?
当然一般情况下宾语从句的疑问词 应放在主句之后，例如： [ 误 ] Why do you know we can't cut down the big tree? [ 正 ] Do you know why we can't cut down the big tree?
2. compare compare to/ with Compared to/with many women, she was indeed very fortunate. compare A with B If you compare her work with his, you will find hers is much better. compare A to B Poets have compared sleep to death.
3. come about come about: take place; happen Please tell me how the accident_____. I am still in the dark. (2005 江西 ) A. came by B. came out C. came to D. came about 得到，获得 出来， 露出 达到
4. There is no doubt that…. There is some doubt whether…. 辨析：主句为肯定句时， doubt 后 使用连词 whether 。主句为否定句 时， doubt 后则使用连词 that 。
eg: There's no doubt that one day a cure will be found. There is little doubt that he was the killer.
5. amount of 习惯用语： an amount of 相当数量的 ; 一些 any amount (of) 任何数量 ( 的 ); 大量 ( 的 ) be of little amount 不重要 ; 无价值
n. 数量 large amounts of money 大量的金钱 In an invoice the amount of money should be written both in words and in figures. 发票上的钱数要用字和数码写出来。
6 ． Without the ‘green house effect’ ， the earth would be about thirty-three degrees Celsius cooler than it is. 如果没有温室效应，地球会比现在 冷 33 ℃。 ▲ 这是一个含蓄虚拟条件句
应该注意有时假设的情况并不以条件 从句形式表示出来，而是通过一个介 词短语或其他方式表示。常用的词或 短语有： without, but for ， but that ， otherwise ， or ， but 等。
例如： Without your help ( = If we had not had your help) ， we could not have succeeded ． 要是没有你的帮助，我们是不会成 功的。
But for electricity (= If there were no electricity) ， there would be no modem industry ． 要是没有电，就不会有现代工业。
He was having a meeting with his students ； otherwise he would have come. 他当时正与他的学生进行讨论，否则 的话他就来帮我们了。
He felt very tired yesterday, or he would have attended the party ． 他昨天很累, 不然他就参加那个聚 会了。
7. result in 导致, 造成 =lead to The accident resulted in three people being killed. 这一事故导致他的死亡。 The accident resulted in his death.
result from ● result from 由 … 产生，发生 injuries resulting from a fall. The accident ______ the death of two passengers. A. resulted from B. resulted in C. resulted of D. resulted with
8. on the other hand: used to give another opinion or fact that should be considered as well as the one you have just given 另一方面 also on the one hand... on the other hand
I'd like to eat out, but on the other hand I should be trying to save money. I want to go to the party, but on the other hand I ought to be studying. 我想去参加聚会，但从另一方面来 说，我应该留下来学习。
9. concern n. a matter that relates to or affects one 有厉害关系；所关切的事 It’s no concern of mine. 这事与我无关。 n. worry, anxiety 担心；担忧 She showed great concern about you. 她很为你担心。
v.to have to do with or relate to 涉及；与 …… 有关或相关 Attend to what concerns you. 注意与你有关的事物。 v. To be of interest or importance to ( 常与 with, about, in 连用 ) 关心；关照 We’re rather concerned about father’s health. 我们相当担心父亲的健康。
10. consequence in consequence 因此 as a consequence 结果 as a consequence of 由于 … 的结果
11. range in /within range 在射程之内 out of / beyond range 在射程之外
12. build up Build up the business Sediment ( 沉淀物 )builds up on the ocean floor. This built up my hope after the interview. develop 扩大, 发展 collect 累积, 收集 增加, 支持, 树立
13. even if /though: used to emphasize that, although something may happen or may be true, it will not change a situation I wouldn't tell you even if I knew.
Even if she survives, she'll never fully recover. Even though he's 24 now, he's still like a little child. I can still remember, even though it was so long ago.
Supplementary materials for debating Global warming 1. The planet has warmed anywhere from 0.5 to 1.0°C (1 to 2°F) over the last century.
This small amount makes a huge difference, causing glaciers to melt and, potentially ( 潜在的 ), sea level to rise. We could see even more of this in the future, (maybe another 3°C, or 5°F)
2. A definition of global warming would have to include a measurable, consistent temperature rise, like the one we have seen in recent history. A question remains – Is it an unusual change? Much debate about that one.
3. The earth gets one kind of energy (visible light) from the sun and gives off another kind (infrared 红外线 ). This kind is what gets trapped by "green house gases" (GHG's) in the atmosphere.
Green house gases 4. The global warming green house effect really is a bogus( 假的 ) term. A greenhouse keeps warm by physically trapping the air inside and preventing convection( 对流 ). The atmosphere helps keep the planet warm by trapping outgoing radiation instead.
5. The leading gasses are Carbon- dioxide, Methane, Ozone( 臭氧 ) and Nitrous Oxide( 一氧化二氮 ). Gas analyzers show the concentrations of this stuff have increased somewhat since the beginning of the industrial revolution.
6.The greenhouse effect raises the average temperature of the Earth by more than 30 degrees, so without it the Earth would be a very cold place!