Lu Han Today we’ll talk about what people used to be like.
To learn to understand and use used to + verb To listen and speak about what one used to be like and what one used to do
He was quite humorous, and I liked that about him. adj. 滑稽有趣的 Please choose the right picture. A B
Phil was silent for a moment as he thought about his reply. adj. 不说话的 A B
Sometimes it’s helpful to make a list of everything you have to do. adj. 有用的；有帮助的 A B
He scored in the final minute of the game. n. & v. 得分；进球 AB
short/ brown hair 短 / 黄头发 long /black hair 长 / 黑头发 How can we describe the personality? curly hair 卷发 bald 光头的 tall/ good looking 高 / 相貌好看的 short/ handsome 矮 / 英俊的 strong /heavy 强壮的 / 重的 thin 瘦的
How can we describe the personality? funny serious quiet friendly shy serious Appearance: tall, short, fat, thin, young, old, straight hair, curly hair, long hair, short hair, a medium body Personality: outgoing, serious, funny, smart, friendly, shy, unfriendly
in the past now Kate is tall now. But she was very short in the past. Kate used to be short.
He used to be short, but now he is tall. He was short when he was a child, but he is tall now. What does he look like?
VS He used to be ugly, but now he is really handsome. He was ugly when he was a student, but he is really handsome now.
short/tall young/old heavy/thin He/She used to be/have/wear…, but now he/she is/has/wears ….
VS He used to be shy but now he is really smart. He was shy when he was a child, but he is really smart now.
She used to be …, but now she is … outgoing quiet friendly funny shy smart serious active …
He ____________________ in the free time, but now he is interested in ______________. used to play basketball playing football
She used to like reading, but now she likes singing. She liked reading when she was a student, but she likes singing now. VS
Listen. Bob is seeing some friends for the first time in four years. 1. Mario used to be _____. He used to wear ______. 2. Amy used to be ____. She used to have __________. 3. Tina used to have ____ and ______ hair. glasses tall short hair redcurly short 1b
Did Amy used to be tall? Yes, she did. She used to be really tall. Look at the picture and make conversations. She’s tall now. What’s she like now? 1c
Did Amy used to have long hair? No, she didn’t. She used to have short hair. She has long hair now. What’s she like now?
Did Tina used to have red and straight hair? Yes, she did. She has long and black hair now. What’s she like now?
_____ shy _____ serious _____ friendly _____ funny _____ outgoing _____ quiet Listen and check (√) the words you hear. 2a
Listen again. Fill in the blanks with the words you hear. Paula: Hey, Steve! Over there! Don’t you remember me? Steve: Oh, wow! You’re Paula, aren’t you? Paula: That’s right. Steve: But you used to be really _______, didn’t you? Paula: Yeah. I wasn’t very ________. Steve: No, you weren’t. But you were always _________. Wait a minute! Did you use to play the piano? Paula: Yes, I did. But now I’m more interested in _______. I play soccer and I’m on the swim team. Steve: Wow! People sure change. quiet 2b outgoing friendly sports
Read and try to recite the conversations in 5-10 minutes.
1. Role play the conversation in groups; 2. Role play the conversation in front of the class Let’s see which group does the best. 2d
PastNow Hair Height Build personality Hobby Who has changed most? We made a survey about the changes and we found…changed most. He/she used to … but now he/she …
1. But now I’m more interested in sports. interested adj. 感兴趣的 ; 关心的 （人） be interested in 对 …… 感兴趣 interesting adj. 能激起别人感兴趣的（物） I’m not interested in politics （政治）. This is an interesting story.
2. I used to be afraid of the dark. used to (1) （作情态动词） “ 过去常常 ” ； (2) 指已过去的习惯和状态； (3) always/ never/ often/ sometimes + used to Vivian always used to come to by train. I used to have short and black hair. She never used to get up early in the morning.
从方框中选择适当的单词完成句子。 quiet, shy, funny, outgoing, friendly 1. My uncle is very _______. He often tells jokes. 2. His cousin is very _____. He is afraid to speak in public. 3. Please be _____ in the library. 4. Mike’s mother is very ________ to us. We all get on well with her. 5. Bill’s sister is very ________. She’s good at singing and dancing. funny shy quiet friendly outgoing
根据要求完成句子，每空一词。 1. I used to be shy and quiet. ( 改为一般疑问句 ) ____ you _____ to be shy and quiet? 2. He used to wear old jeans. ( 改为否定句 ) He ______ ____ to wear old jeans. 3. Lily used to be funny. ( 就画线部分提问 ) _____ ____ he ____ to be ____? Diduse didn’t use What diduselike
1. — Do you like playing computer games? — No, but I _____. (2009 山东威海 ) A. used to B. didn’t C. do D. don’t [ 要点 ] used to 可用于各种人称， 表示过去的习惯。选 A 。
2. — Why don’t you take the bike, Henry? — It’s too expensive. I can’t ____it. (2009 山东 ) A. sell B. keep C. borrow D. afford [ 要点 ] afford 常与 can, could, be able to 连 用，意为 “ 买得起，负担得起 ” ，后常接名 词、代词或动词不定式。选 D 。
3. 同义句转换，每空一词。 She seems to be worried now. (2008 四川自贡 ) _______ seems that she ________ worried now. [ 要点 ] sb seems to be / do … 可与 “It seems + that 从句 ” 句型互换，且要注意主句和从 句的时态要保持一致。填写 It; is 。
4．4． — My father has decided to _____smoking. — That’s good news for us. I hope so. (2008 山东淄博 ) A. give up B. take out C. give in D. turn off [ 要点 ] give up 意为 “ 放弃 ”, 后常接名词、代 词或动词的 -ing 形式。选 A 。
5 ．根据所给汉语提示翻译句子。 尽管我学习不好，但我从未放弃过。 (2009 甘肃兰州 ) _______ I didn’t do well in my lessons, I _________ gave up. [ 要点 ] though, although, even though 都可 表示 “ 尽管 ” 。填写 Though / Although / Even though; never
You used to be short, didn’t you? Yes, I did./No, I didn’t. Did you use to play the piano? Yes, I did./No, I didn’t. I used to be really quiet. I didn’t use to like tests. You used to have long hair. She used to have curly hair. 课时重点回顾
1. Do you ever find our school or our city has changed a lot? Try to find some changes around you and make sentences with “used to”. 2. Preview new words and expressions. 3. Preview 3a-3d on page 27.