你知道这些西方谚语吗？ Like father, like son. 有其父必有其子。 No pain, no gain. 没有耕耘, 就没有收获。 Once bitten, twice shy. 一朝被蛇咬, 十年怕井绳。 Love me, love my dog. 爱屋及乌。 When in Rome, do as the Romans do. ？？？ Step 1: Lead-in:
a Chinese meal What are used to have meals in China and in Western countries? a western meal Chopsticks and spoons are used. Knives, forks and spoons are used. What table manners ( 餐桌礼仪 ) do we follow when having meals?
G. Do as the Romans ( 罗马人 ) do. A. What to do at the end of the meal B. What to say at the beginning of a meal C. How to eat a meal D. What to do after finishing eating F. What to say during the meal E. When to have meals H. What is the rule Para 1 ( ) Para 2 ( ) Para 3 ( ) Para 4 ( ) Para 5 ( ) Para 6 ( ) Para 7 ( ) Para 8 ( ) G EB C F A D H Step 2: Fast reading: Read and match. ( 学案 )
Step 3: Careful reading: Read and choose. ( 学案 ) 4 mins4 mins
The passage mainly talks about _____________ in western countries. What should you do? Do as westerners do. Read Para. 1 table manners Step 4: Read and retell.
Meal times: Lunch ： Dinner ： Lunch is eaten at about 1:00 pm. Dinner is served ( 端 上 ) at about 7:00 pm. In western countries In China Meal times: Lunch ： Dinner ： Lunch is eaten at about 12:00 pm. Dinner is served between 6:00 pm and 7:00 pm. Para 2: When to have meals
How to eat? The food is… eaten with chopsticks The soup is… eaten with spoons How to eat? The fork is … The food is … The soup is… There is some food… In western countries In China Para 4: How to eat meals
During the meal: what to say…? When you are invited to serve yourself, you should say… When you are given something you don’t like, you can say… When you are offered more food but cannot eat anymore, you can say… in western countries Para 5: What to say during a meal Thank you. I’m sorry. I don’t eat meat. No, thanks. It was delicious, but I’ve had enough.
During the meal: What to say…? When someone invite you to serve yourself, he will say… Help yourself. Eat slowly. Eat more. When you are offered something,you can say… Thank you! I am full. in China
At the end of a meal, what shoud you say? It is polite to say that you have enjoyed the food. After finishing eating,what should you do? You are expected to stay and talk around the dinner table. In western countries In China? Para 6-7:
What is the rule? 规则就是：观察别人。按他们做的去做。 The rule is: Watch the other people. Do as they do.
Oral composition: Suppose your English pen friend is going to visit China, and he wants to know some table manners in China. Can you introduce some to him? Step 5: Post-reading
( 开头 ) 人们经常说入乡随俗。如果你在中国用餐， 像中国人那样做。 People often say, “When in Rome, do as the Romans do.” If you eat Chinese food, do as Chinese do. 用餐时间：中餐 … 晚餐 … In China, lunch is eaten at about 12:00 and dinner is usually served between 6:00 and 7:00. 用餐方式：用筷子吃菜 … 用勺子喝汤 … Chopsticks are used to eat food and spoons are used for drinking soup.
用餐期间礼貌用语：夹菜时，说谢谢。 结束时，说喜欢。 During the meal, if you are served by someone, you can say “Thank you.” At the end of the meal, it is polite to say that you have enjoyed the food. 用餐后的礼貌行为：吃完后，留下聊天。 After eating, you are expected to stay and talk around the table. ( 结尾 ) 规则是观察别人，像他们那样做。 The rule is: Watch the other people. Do as they do.
During a meal in the West, you use (1) _____ and forks most of the time, although you can use your fingers to eat chicken (2) ______ or hamburgers. You will be invited to (3) _____ yourself with food, the (4) ______ before the (5) _________. knives wings serve gentleman knife lady serve wing ladies gentlemen Complete the passage with the correct form of the words in the box.
1. 入乡随俗 2. 了解 3. 请自便 4. 在 … 开始 5. 被用来做某事 6. 生气 7. 被邀请做某事 8. 期望做某事 9. 一 … 就 … do as the Romans do know about help yourself (to) at the start of be used for doing/to do be cross/angry with/ be mad at be invited to expect to do sth. as soon as
1. 大部分的孩子都期望能上大学。他们了解 更多的大学信息。 2. 班会课一开始，我们就邀请李老师给我们 作报告。 3. 奶奶开心地说： “ 孩子们，请随便吃些鱼。 ” Most children expect to go to university. They know more information about universities. At the start of the class meeting, we invited Mr. Li to give a talk to us. Grandmother said happily: “Kids, please help yourselves to some fish.”
be eaten be served be held be cut be given be offered be expected to do 被吃 被服务 被拿住 被切 被给 被提供 被期待
In the West Mealtimes Things to say at the start of a meal Lunch: about 1 pm Dinner: around 7 pm or even later The French: Bon appetit The Italians: Buon appetito The English: nothing similar to say Complete the table with information from the passage.
In the West Method of eating Things you say when you offer others food Most food is eaten with knives and forks Fork is held in the left hand and knives in the right Soup with a spoon, some food with fingers Help yourself! Would you like some…?
In the West Things to say and do at the end of the meal
1. Who is the passage written for? A Chinese person eating a western meal. 2. Where might you see a passage like this? In a magazine. Listen and read the passage, then answer the questions.
1.“So when you eat Western food, do as Westerners do.” So what should you do? The fork is held in your left hand and the knife in your right, and the food is held with the fork and cut with the knife. Read the passage again and answer the questions.
2. “At the start of a meal, the French say ‘Bon appetit’.” What do you say at the start of a Chinese meal? Enjoy yourself. 3. “I’m sorry. I don’t eat meat.” When might you want to say this? If you are given something you do not like.
4. “No, thanks. It was delicious, but I’ve had enough.” Do you mean you do not like the food? No. I can’t eat any more. 5. “It is sometimes difficult to know when the meal is over.” How do you know that a meal is over in China? If everyone is full, or everyone stops eating, the meal is over.
1. We often say, “When in Rome, do as the Romans do.” 我们常说 :“ 入乡随俗 ” 。 When in Rome, do as the Romans do 是西 方谚语，相当于汉语中的 “ 入乡随俗 ” 。其 中, as 表示 “ 和 …… 一样 ( 指以同样的方式处 理某事物 )” 。 e.g. While in the chemistry lab, do as I say, please.
2. Dinner is served around 7 pm or even later. serve v. 端上 ( 食物和饮料 ), 服侍 …… 进餐 常用结构 : serve sb. sth./serve sth. to sb. e.g. They usually serve tea at three. The waiter served us wine.
3. But there is nothing similar to say in English. similar adj. 相似的 可用作定语或表语。 be similar to 与 …… 相似 e.g. Martin’s shoes are similar to mine. be similar in 在某方面相似 e.g. The two houses are similar in shape.
4. Help yourself. 随便做 ( 或用 ) 吧 ; 请自便 是主人招待客人的常用语。 e.g. Help yourself to some fish, my dear friend.
5. No one will be cross. 没有人会生气的。 cross adj. 生气的 e.g. The old lady was really cross when the boy’s ball broke her windows. All right, you two, don’t be cross with each other. v. 横穿, 穿过 ; 交叉 e.g. It took him two months to cross the desert. She was sitting on the floor with her legs crossed.
Read the table in Activity 3 again. Think about Chinese eating customs and write them down. In China, lunch is usually served around 12 pm or even later …
It’s impolite to stick their chopsticks into food or pointing at someone with chopsticks. At the end of the meals, they usually say … …
Write a sentence to introduce your passage. Eating customs in China are in some ways different from those in the West. Write a sentence to finish your passage. Just enjoy your Chinese meal. You’ll never forget it!
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.