Presentation on theme: "Unit 2 Module 1 Happiness. Laughter heals. Teaching Aims and Purposes: Learn and grasp some useful words and expressions in this unit Learn and grasp."— Presentation transcript:
3. trick vt. & n. trick sb into doing sth 用计诱使 某人做某事 The cheat tricked him into making a decision. 骗子哄骗他作了决定。 Her partner tried to trick her out of her share. 她的合伙人企图骗走她的 股份。
New words and expressions: play tricks / a trick on… 戏弄； 恶作剧； 捉弄 Children loved to play tricks on each other on April Fool’s Day / Halloween 互相作弄 We are playing a trick on a man who keeps bothering me. ( 英译汉： ____________________________ ) 我们正在捉弄那个不断麻烦我的人。
4. unsuspecting The old lady was unsuspecting that she had been cheated into buying a fake antique that was worthless. 那老妇人受骗买了一件一文不值的假 古董，可她却毫无察觉。 valueless, priceless, useless Chinese meaning
Suspect n. 嫌疑犯 Suspect v. 怀疑. Suspect sb of doing sth 怀疑某人 做某事 The police suspected him of planning the robbery. Suspect the truth of her statement. 怀疑话的真实性
5. victim The students are raising / collecting money for flood victims.
6.embarrassed 窘迫；尴尬 I was embarrassed by his comments about my clothes. 他评论我的衣服使我很尴尬。 汉译英： 他看上去有点尴尬。 He looked a bit embarrassed.
She felt quite embarrassed when asked about her age or marriage. I don't like making speeches in public; it's so embarrassing.
Embarrassment n. 窘境 Owing to my current financial embarrassment, I can not pay the bill.
embarrassed (adj.) embarrass (v) embarrassing (adj.) embarrassment (n) 选用以上适当的词填空 1. Making speeches in public always ____________me. 2. She felt ______________ in front of strangers. 3.That was an ______________ situation for me. embarrasses embarrassed embarrassing
7. colleague 他戒烟了, 这使得同事们很高兴。 He had given up the habit of smoking, which made his colleagues quite happy.
8.inferior (adj.) （阶级、身份等） 低下的， 下级的 The cassettes were of inferior quality. 这些盒式磁带质量低劣。 (n) 下属， 部下 You should be kind to your inferiors. 你应该对下级宽些。
If children were made to be /feel inferior to other children, their confidence declined. 如果孩子被感到不如其他孩子， 他的自信就全 无了。 be inferior to 不如 …
This plastic is inferior in quality to glass. Poor as he is (=Though he is poor), he doesn't feel inferior (to others)./ He isn’t inferior to others. Inferior n. 不如别人的人 He regarded his assistant as his inferior in every way. 在各方面不如他
10.Proceed 继续进行 The work is proceeding smoothly. 顺利进行 Proceed with sth 继续某事 proceed to do sth 继续做某事
My father drank some tea and proceeded with his story. He proceeded to give us a description of what he had seen.
proceed (vi.) 向 … 前进； 前往 She joined us in Paris and then we proceeded to Rome. 他在巴黎和我们会合， 然后我们一起前往罗 马。 New words and expressions:
He cleared his throat and then proceeded with his speech. 他清清嗓子后开始演讲。
11.reverse （ vt) 使 … 颠倒，倒退 New words and expressions: I twisted my head round to reverse the car. 我扭过头去把汽车向后倒。
3.Learning how to reverse the car is the toughest part in learning driving. 倒车 2. Please reverse the positions of two pictures. 请把两张图片的位置倒转过来。
12. depart He departed his life (died) at the age of seventy. ( 他 70 岁时去世.) The train to Edinburgh will depart from platform 6 in five minutes.
depart from: (turn away from or stop following) 背离，违反 On this occasion we departed from our normal practice / old customs Departure n.
13.exchange (… for …) Exchange A for B 用 A 交换 B exchange seats with sb exchanged our opinions 他用英镑来兑换美元 He exchanged some British pounds for US dollars.
14. roar with laughter On hearing the news, they all roared with laughter. On seeing the picture photo- shopped by some computer experts, they roared with laughter. 电脑高手处理过的图片 Burst into laughter / burst out laughing
15.puzzled (adj.) 迷惑不解 puzzled expression 1.I‘m very puzzled. 我觉得非常困惑。 2. He was quite puzzled (about) what to do. 他很困惑下一步做什么。 3. I was puzzled which way to take. 我不知道该走哪一条路。 4. What puzzled me is why they didn’t take her advice.
be puzzled about / over / as to …( 为 …) 苦 思冥想 They are puzzled about what to do next / how to react. I have been puzzling / puzzled over all the figures, trying to find what happened to the missing money. She has been puzzling over his strange letter for weeks 琢磨不透那来信
puzzle （ v) puzzling (adj.) puzzled (adj.) puzzlement (n) New words and expressions:
16. conceal vt. 隐藏 He concealed his real motives from me. 隐瞒动机 He concealed his debts from his wife. It is against law to conceal evidence.
17. replace Nothing can replace a mother's love. Replace A with B 用 B 代替 A The next day we replaced apples with oranges to treat guests We've replaced the old adding machine with a computer to improve the working efficiency.
18. stick We must stick to our policy. 我们必须 坚持我们的政策。 Stick a label on your suitcase. 把标签 粘贴在你的手提箱上。 I stuck a stamp on every envelope. The road is wet, and unfortunately the car got stuck in mud.
19. alternate v. 交替 (between) Their work alternates between London and New York. (first in London, then in New York, and then in London)
adj. 间隔的 The team held a meeting on alternate Fridays. 每隔一个星期五开一次会 According to the weather forecast, there will be a week of alternate rain and sunshine. 下礼拜时雨时 晴
20.belief The firmness of his beliefs supported him through all kinds of difficulties. 坚定的信念支撑他度过困难
What is a joke ? A joke is something you say that causes laughter.
Adventures in Disneyland Two girls were going to Disneyland when they came to a fork ( 岔口） in the road. The sign read: "Disneyland Left." So they went home. Here the word ‘left’ means the left side. Joke 1
911 -“Why can’t a girl dial 911 ?” - “She can’t find the 11.” Joke 2
They are the jokes you play on people. That is, you do things to them that you think are funny and can cause laughter. Practical jokes:
April Fool’s Day On which day can people play practical jokes on each other at will ?
I. What do you know about…? A survey Step I: Work in pairs. Ask your partner these questions and make a note of his or her answers. 1.Do you like reading stories of practical jokes? 2.Have you ever played and practical jokes on other people? 3.Has anybody played a practical joke on you?
Step II: work in groups of four. Report your survey to the group. For example: I interviewed _____. She likes reading stories of practical jokes. She has never played the practical jokes on other people, but somebody played one on her several years ago. The story is like this…She doesn`t think it is good to play practical jokes on others.
II. Skimming & Scanning : 1.What is a practical joke? 2. How does the victim of a practical joke usually feel? 3. What kind of person was Mr. Potts? 4. Why did Mr. Potts`s colleagues decided to play a joke on him? It is something you do to cause laughter The victim usually feels silly and embarrassed. Mr. Potts was someone who regarded his colleagues as his inferiors Because this might make him feel more humble.
5. Did Mr. Potts`s colleagues buy a hat exactly like the one he wore every day? 6. What did Mr. Potts do to his hat before he came to work the next day? 7. What did Mr. Potts`s colleagues do then? 8. Why did Mr. Potts go to his doctor? No. They bought a new hat larger than the old one. He had fixed some pieces of newspaper round the inside of the hat to make it smaller before he came to work. They replaced his new hat with the old one and made it smaller in the same way. Because he thought there might something wrong with his head.
Put the pictures in the right order 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Retell the story Why did Mr Potts’s colleagues decide to play a practical joke on him ? What did Mr Potts always wear to work ? What did Mr Potts’s colleagues buy one day ? What did they do then? What happened when Mr Potts put on his hat? What did Mr Potts do to his hat before he came to work the next day? What did Mr Potts’s colleagues do then ? Why did Mr Potts go to his doctor ?
What emotions or feelings do you have after you reading these sentences? (eg. humorous, ironic) Teaching strategy:
What do these sentences imply?Choose the right meanings. Pay attention to the adjectives and verbs.
1.It was a rather unpleasant-looking green colour. This implies that ________ A.the hat is too big B.the hat is too small C.there is nothing wrong with Mr.Potts`s head D.Mr. Potts always said goodbye at this time of the day E.Mr. Potts has very poor taste E
2. …it dropped down over his eyes. This implies that________ A.the hat is too big B.the hat is too small C.there is nothing wrong with Mr.Potts`s head D.Mr. Potts always said goodbye at this time of the day E.Mr. Potts has very poor taste A
3.At the end of the day, Mr. Potts said, “Good afternoon, as usual.” This implies that_______ A.the hat is too big B.the hat is too small C.there is nothing wrong with Mr.Potts`s head D.Mr. Potts always said goodbye at this time of the day E.Mr. Potts has very poor taste D
4. …it stuck right on top of his head. This implies that_______ A.the hat is too big B.the hat is too small C.there is nothing wrong with Mr.Potts`s head D.Mr. Potts always said goodbye at this time of the day E.Mr. Potts has very poor taste B
5.”Nonsense,” said the doctor. This implies that _____ A.the hat is too big B.the hat is too small C.there is nothing wrong with Mr.Potts`s head D.Mr. Potts always said goodbye at this time of the day E.Mr. Potts has very poor taste C
What is the feeling of the people on whom we play a practical joke?
Feelings of the victims silly stupid angry disgraceful ( 丢脸的 ) unhappy be at ease 自在的无痛苦的 embarrassed depressed ( 沮丧的 )
Do you think it’s good or not to play practical jokes on other people? My opinions: We can learn to appreciate the humor of a practical joke and enjoy ourselves. However, we shouldn’t play practical jokes which may deeply hurt others’ feelings.
Para1: The definitions of a joke and a practical joke are given. Para2: Mr Potts was not popular with his colleagues. Para3: Mr Potts would hang his hat on a peg when he came to work every morning, and would take it from the peg before he left the office every afternoon. Para4-7: Mr Potts’s colleagues first exchanged a larger hat for his usual one, and then replaced his new hat with the old, smaller one. Mr Potts did not notice either of these tricks. Para8: Mr Potts went to see his doctor, who did not believe that he suffered from a serious disease.
Complete the sentences below with the words in the box. Change the form of the words as necessary.
colleague proceed reverse belief stick 1. The banquet could not ________ until the honoured guest arrived. 2. The professor was respected by both his __________ and students. 3. Their car was _____ in traffic, so he could not get to the concert in time. 4. Most people share in the _____ of the power of love. 5. The government successfully ________ the country’s economic decline. proceed colleagues stuck belief reversed
Strategy 策略识别作者写作意图 无论读何种类型的文章，识别作者的写作意图都很重 要。 作者通常希望你能够有所思考或有所体会。 比如： 本课主阅读文章中有句话写到： When he put his hat on his head, however, it dropped down over his eyes. 这里作者描绘了一个幽默场景逗你发笑。 阅读时，考虑作者的意图很重要，这样你才能发现作 者运用了那些技巧来达到其目的。
Language Points: The impression that Mr Potts regarded his colleagues as inferiors made him unpopular. regarded…as…
regard…as… 把 … 看成 … ， 把 …. 认为是 … 把 … 视为 … 相似短语： treat…as… / think of…as…./,look upon…as… 1.We regard your action as a crime 。 2. I regard him as the best tennis player in China. 我认为他是中国最好的网球选手
It so happened that 碰巧 It so happens that he used to my brother’s friend. It happened that when the fire broke out there was no one in the house.
It was a rather unpleasant-looking green colour. “unpleasant-looking” 复合形容词： adj. – v-ing good-looking 好看的 easy-going 好说话的 ordinary-looking 相貌一般的 funny-looking 样子滑稽的 sweet-smelling 闻着香甜可口的
When they returned to the office, Mr Potts was still out, so they exchanged the new hat for the old one. “Exchanged… for …” exchange … for … 用 … 交换 … Where can I exchange my dollars for pounds? If the car you have leased ( 租） is clearly unsatisfactory, you can always exchange it for another. 如果你对租用的车不满意， 可以换一辆。
汉译英：像往常一样，来开会的人不多. ____________________________________ At the end of the day, Mr Potts got up to leave as usual. “as usual” as usual 照常； 照例； 仍然 He works hard as usual. 他照常辛勤工作。 As usual ， he took a shower before breakfast. 他照常在早餐前淋浴。 As usual, there weren't many people at the meeting.
汉译英： 我刚买的这条领带（ tie) ，可不可以换 那条呢？ I’ve just bought this tie, but can I exchange it for that one?
There is no such disease. “such” 当 such 意为 “ 如此的 ” ，与 no, all, any, many, some 等词一起连用时， 通常放在这些词的 后面。 如： 1. I’ve heard of some such rumors. 我听到过一些那样的 谣传。 2. We’ve met many such people before. 我们以前遇过许多这样的人。
3. All such books must be read. 所有的这样的书都要读。 4. One such dictionary is enough. 一本这样的词典就够了。
Homework Write down your opinion about playing a practical joke on others.
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.